United Airlines comes to Auckland
Thu Aug. 25th 2016
United Airlines' flight US917 from San Francisco landed in Auckland on Sunday morning.
The 787 Dreamliner took off on Sunday afternoon for its return trip, completing the return of United to New Zealand after an absence of 13 years.
"We are excited about today's launch of our Auckland-San Francisco nonstop flights. The service further opens the door to the US for Kiwi travellers," United's senior vice president of worldwide sales Dave Hilfman said.
The team at Accent on Travel were invited to view the aircraft whilst it was on the ground in Auckland - Michele's photos are attached.
- Flight UA916 departs Auckland at 1:20 pm on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays, arriving in San Francisco at 6:40 am. the same days. The return flight, UA917, departs San Francisco at 10:45 pm. on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, arriving in Auckland at 6:55 am two days later (all times local).
- Flying times are approximately 12 hours, 20 minutes eastbound and 13 hours, 10 minutes westbound.
- Once at San Francisco International Airport, people travelling on will be able to fly to more than 44 U.S cities, 40 of which until now didn't have a single connection service to Auckland.
- The Boeing 787-8 aircraft features a total of total of 219 seats in two cabins – 36 in United BusinessFirst, with seats arranged in a 2-2-2 configuration, and 183 in United Economy, including 70 Economy Plus seats with added legroom and increased personal space.
- The BusinessFirst seat reclines 180 degrees into a 1.98-m lie-flat bed and features a personal on-demand entertainment system with a 39-cm touch-screen monitor.
- The 787, constructed using space age materials, gives passengers a lower pressure cabin minimising jet-lag affects while its roomier interior and more responsive cabin lighting also aids passenger relaxation.